The man pegged by Newsweek as the creator of bitcoin, Dorian Prentice Satoshi Nakamoto, has reportedly hired a lawyer and released an official statement.
“I am the subject of the Newsweek story on Bitcoin. I am writing this statement to clear my name,” it read, as released by Felix Salmon of Reuters.
Nakamoto says the first time he’s heard of bitcoin was in the middle of February, when his son was contacted by a reporter (presumably Leah McGrath Goodman, who wrote the Newsweek story).
“Shortly thereafter, the reporter confronted me at my home. I called the police. I never consented to speak with the reporter,” he said. “In an ensuing discussion with a reporter from the Associated Press, I called the technology ‘bitcom.’ I was still unfamiliar with the term.”
As noted in the Newsweek piece, Nakamoto does acknowledge his background in engineering. He also says he has the ability to program, with his most recent job being an electrical engineer with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), troubleshooting air traffic control equipment.
“I have no knowledge of nor have I ever worked on cryptography, peer to peer systems, or alternative currencies,” he said.
Nakamoto has been dealing with a number of health issues, which includes a surgery on his prostate in late 2012 and a stroke in October of 2013. He’s been unable to find steady work as an engineer/programmer for the better part of 10 years, but has worked as a “laborer, polltaker, and substitute teacher.”
“My prospects for gainful employment has been harmed because of Newsweek’s article,” he said.
Nakamoto has retained legal counsel, and says this week be his last public statement on this matter.
“I offer my sincerest thanks to those people in the United States and around the world who have offered me their support” … “I ask that you now respect our privacy.”
So far, no comment from Goodman nor Newsweek on the retort. You can read the full statement here (or below).
— felix salmon (@felixsalmon) March 17, 2014