Hong Kong-based bitcoin exchange ANX has announced that they are issuing their very own reloadable pre-paid bitcoin debit card, allowing members of the exchange to make purchases and conduct cash withdrawals internationally via “via an extensive global network of retailers, online merchants and ATMs.”
ANX thinks that using bitcoin through traditional finance systems could very well be the future of this digital currency.
“We believe prepaid cards will play an integral role in a Bitcoin consumer’s day-to-day financial life,” said exchange Chief Executive Officer Ken Lo. “As a market leader we felt it was important to go beyond current offerings in the marketplace and bring something new and innovative to our customers. The ANX Bitcoin Prepaid Debit Card enables our customers to easily transfer their Bitcoins to their card anytime and benefit from the same freedom and flexibility of a traditional credit card.”
The news comes amid several other announcements of bitcoin debit card offerings — none of which are presently available for use by consumers.
ANX, however, says that their debit card offering will be available for immediate delivery for the customers who have completed the exchange’s KYC requirements.
Features, as outlined by ANX in a leaked press release:
1. Allows ANX customers to spend their Bitcoins to make purchases via conventional credit card payment system such as online retailers or physical retail stores.
2. Allows ANX customers to perform cash withdrawals via an extensive ATM network spanning over 200 countries.
3. Automatically links ANX customers Bitcoin exchange accounts and Bitcoin wallets with their ANX Bitcoin Prepaid Debit Card.
4. Funds can be added to the ANX Bitcoin Prepaid Debit Card via Bitcoins or any of the 10 major currencies that ANX supports.
5. Funds are seamlessly loaded onto the ANX Bitcoin Prepaid Debit Card via the ANXBTC and ANXPRO online exchange websites.
No word on fees, though NEWSBTC sent the company an inquiry this morning and has not heard back.
Update: a company representative informs NEWSBTC that the card fee is 2.5 percent and an initial supply of 100 customized cards will be made available.
The amount of reserved cards, according to a company rep, has exceeded 1,000 at this point in time.
An official announcement is expected to be made on Friday, the company noted on Reddit.com.